What is Steganography?
Steganography is the art or practice of concealing a file, message, image, or video within another file, message, image, or video.
The word steganography combines the Ancient Greek words
steganos – meaning “covered, concealed, or protected”, and
graphein – meaning “writing”.
Motivation And Goal:
• Protection of Digital Media
• Privacy of information transmitted across world wide web
• To make transmitted information invisible by embedding the information in a cover media
• Try to enhance the security and robustness of the information
Types of Steganography:
Protection Against Detection:
Here the message is hided in images where the third person cannot see the message embedded in the image.
Protection Against Removal:
Here the certain message are embedded on the image to protect their property from the theft or pirated.
There are two types :
Here tool is used is Quick Stegano
Step1: Download the Quick Stegano application and install in the computer
Open the application
Step2: Open the Image of your choice to embed your message
Step 3: Open the text file or message that you want steganographed
Step 4: Click the hide text button to hide the message into image that you have selected.
Step 5: finally Steganography is done
Check the Size of the file before and after Steganography
This method using the command line in windows machine
1. Open the command prompt in windows
2. Place the image on desktop or folder
3. Write a following command with the message to write your message in the image that you want to hide.
4. To see the message want you written
• Open the steganographed in the Notepad.exe
• Scroll down till the last line
Here you can See the message u have written
Advantage over Cryptography:
The advantage of steganography over cryptography alone is that the intended secret message does not attract attention to itself as an object of scrutiny.
Means :Plainly visible encrypted messages—no matter how unbreakable—will arouse interest
Thus, whereas cryptography is the practice of protecting the contents of a message alone, steganography is concerned with concealing the fact that a secret message is being sent, as well as concealing the contents of the message.